Filters are used in Dimensions to filter search results or to start a search. The filter bar appears throughout Dimensions on the left-hand side of the screen, and the filters that are available will vary when searching different data sources (see below). Filters can be selected individually as a way to search, or layered on in combination to narrow the results.
In the example below, it is demonstrated how you can search for only Open Access publications published in 2017 in the area of artificial intelligence, which were affiliated to University College London.
Always available filters
- My Groups* - Custom Groups from a search filter, created by you.
- Funder* - The name of the funding organization that funded the work (for Datasets: the associated Publication).
- Funder Group* - Recognised groups of funding organizations.
- Country of Funder* - Country in which the Funder is based. In the case of International Funding Agencies, the country of the central office is used.
- Research Organization* - The name of the Research Organization where the research funding is allocated.
- Location - Research Organization*
- Country - The country in which the Research Organization is based.
- State/Region - The state or region in which the Research (or Publishing) Organization is based.
- City - The city in which the Research Organization is based.
- Research Categeories
- Fields of Research - Categories from the FOR classification system from Australia and New Zealand.
- Research Condition and Disease Categorization* - Categories from the RCDC classification system from the United States of America.
- Health Category (HRCS)* - Categories from the HC branch of the HRCS (Health Research Classification System) from the United Kingdom.
- Research Activity Classification (HRCS)* - Categories from the RAC branch of the HRCS (Health Research Classification System) from the United Kingdom.
- ICRP Cancer Types* - Cancer type codes from the International Cancer Research Partnership.
- ICRP Common Scientific Outline (CSO)* - Common Scientific Outline codes from the International Cancer Research Partnership.
Available for Publications
Publication Year - The year that the Publication was published.
Researcher - Author of the Publication.
Research Categories: additional
Units of Assessment - Classiﬁcation scheme used by the Research Excellence Framework 2021 (REF) for assessing the quality of research in UK Higher Education Institutions
Publication Type - The type of publication (article, preprint, monograph, chapter or edited book).
Source Title - This is the name of the journal, if the publication is an article, or the name of the book, if applicable.
Publisher* - Name of the Publisher of the Publication (subsidiaries are displayed under the name of the overall publishing house).
Journal List - Filter for only Publications which are included in a particular Journal list (see "What are Journal lists?" FAQ in this section).
Open Access - Filter for only Publications which are open access.
Available for Datasets
Publication Year - The year that the Dataset was published.
Researcher - Author of the Publication associated with the Dataset.
Source Title - Name of the journal or book in which the Publication associated with the Dataset was published.
Repository - Source where the dataset has been posted, such as Figshare, Zenodo etc. Some repositories hosted by Figshare are listed with their user-facing name (e.g. PLoS, NIH etc.).
Available for Grants*
Start Year - The calendar year that the Grant started/starts.
Active Year - The calendar year(s) in which the Grant was active. A Grant starting in 2012 and finishing in 2014 will have active years of 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- Grant status - The current status of the grant (e.g. Finished, Ongoing, Not yet started or Unknown).
Researcher - The name(s) of the Researcher(s) to whom the Grant was awarded.
Research Categories: additional
My Categories - Custom Categories, created by you.
Shared Categories - Custom Categories, created by a user, that have been shared for use by the logged in user.
Available for Patents*
Publication year - The date on which a patent is published
Filed year - The year when a patent application is first filed at a patent office.
Priority year - The filing year of the earliest application of which priority is claimed
Granted year - The year on which the official body grants the patent.
Assignee - The Organization that has been assigned the patent.
Country of Assignee
State of Assignee
City of Assignee
IPCR - The International Patent Classification Reform. This is also sometimes known as IPC 8.
CPC - The Cooperative Patent Classification used through cooperation between EPO and USPTO.
Jurisdiction - The geographical jurisdiction of the Patent.
Legal Status - The current legal status of the Patent.
Filing Status - Whether this Patent has been granted, or has only been applied for.
Research Organization - Patents which are connected in some way to an academic institution.
Orange Book - Patents that are regarding drugs which appear in the “Orange Book” (also known as Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)).
Available for Clinical Trials*
Start Year - The calendar year that the Clinical Trial started/starts.
Active Year - The calendar year(s) in which the Clinical Trial was active. A Clinical Trial starting in 2012 and finishing in 2014 will have active years of 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- Clinical trial status - The current status of the clinical trial e.g. Finished, Ongoing, Not yet started, or Unknown.
- Collaborating Funder - Name of any Collaborating Funder
Sponsor/Collaborator - Name of any Sponsors/Collaborators
Condition - Human condition that the Clinical Trial is addressing.
Phase - Phase of the Clinical Trial (1-4).
Gender - Whether the focus of the Clinical Trial is on males, females, or both.
Registry - Which international registry the Clinical Trial is registered with.
Available for Policy Documents*
- Publishing Organization - Organization which has published the Policy Document.
* These filters/data sources are only available with a Dimensions subscription. If you would like to know how to get a subscription for your organisation, please get in touch.